I don't know about others, but I for one would find a udf driver
*extremely* helpful.  Sometimes, when you have a cd/dvdR disk, it's
tough to tell if it has anything on it, and being able to boot from
such a disk would be worlds better than cramming a full system backup
with only limited files to get you started on a cd, when you could
store the entire boot opartition on a single disk if udf capabilities
were available.
My vote is to do it. :)
Of course, that's easy for me to say, I won't be the one writing the
thing (I don't know enough about either assembly or udf formats to
help with this one)
hSure wish I did though.