Hi, I made some tests:

I have prepeared a Boot floppy (and a CD with the image) with a boot
menu and different drivers, here is what I got from a very small sample:

UIDE.SYS worked every time

AHCI.SYS did not work on my SATA machine, aparently it works only with
specific Intel chips. It shows an Intel message.

OAKCDROM.SYS worked only and with all IDE/CDROM, as expected.

So UIDE is the best, by far. I will keep AHCI as optional anyway because
there *could* be a mahine with AHCI only...

Thanks for UIDE,
Alain

PS: and Thanks for FreeDOS to :)