I am a bit overwhelmed by the discussion following my post. I will try to
address some points.

In my opinion the CD should be easily usable by first-time FreeDOS users and
not only by experienced DOS developers. This is the view I had when testing
the CD.

Bernd Blaauw schreef: ;-)
>The idea is people select what to do in the Isolinux menu, thus skipping
>any CONFIG.SYS menu. However there should be a short timeout to select
>alternative options in case JEMM and the computer don't like each other
>very much.

I cannot see a reason why the ISOLinux menu should automatically choose a
selection after five seconds. Why not give the first-time user ample time to
read and think about what selection may be best for him?

>After all, computers are turning into "single-disk fully NTFS-partitioned"
>systems.
Another reason against the automatic selection of the FreeDOS installation
menu entry.

>Is there any driver for read-mounting harddisk images (maybe SHSUFDRV) in a
>situation where you boot from a separate bootdisk, access the CD and mount
>this (single-partition) harddisk image?
El-Torito is meant to be used to boot from and the disk can usually just be
accessed when supported by the BIOS. Windows XP cannot do it by the way.

I think most BIOS versions support El-Torito. If the BIOS can boot the OS
from an El-Torioto CD which is set up as a floppy disk emulation it can also
boot from a CD that is set up as a hard disk emulation, both are included in
the El-Torito standard. So you do not need a new PC for that. You can
download one of my Live-CDs and test, just enter CTRL-C at the first prompt
and you skip all the USB stuff.

It took me quite a while to figure out how to make such a CD, but I
documented it:
To set up a El-Torito hard disk emulation CD please look at chapter 4 of my
Bochs tutorial:
http://peter-bochs.googlecode.com/files/Bochs%20-%20a%20Guide%20and%20Tutorial%20for%20Windows.pdf

>Wait for the DEVLOAD developers to release a version (3.24?) with that bug
>fixed.
Regarding the drive letters and devload: I do not think this is a bug in
devload here. On my Live-CDs I use devload in the autoexec.bat file and it
assigns a new drive letter just fine.

>please try if skipping JEMMEX solves both
I do not really care if Jemmex is loaded or not, I just feel if this CD
shall become a major FreeDOS distribution, there should be no crashes. Also

>Just wanted to add to the above by saying it would be awesome if a
>semi-full USB stack would exist. Basicly: recognise USB equipment whenever
>not booting from it.

DOSUSB has a problem to query the BIOS to find out if DOS was booted from a
USB device and where this device is connected to before starting its own USB
support. Only a few BIOS versions will allow to retrieve the information
that drive C is a USB disk and still I do not know where the disc is
connected to, so I did not implement that. I recommend to exclude that
controller manually after figuring out where the boot disk is connected to.
This works for embedded applications but remains a general problem. If a
customer would like to have that I would look into it again but so far this
never came up except by Eric.

As for the keyboard and mouse driver, I agree that one could add more
features to DOSUSB but that is still on the todo-list.

Georg