>> Wait for the DEVLOAD developers to release a version (3.24?) with
>> that bug fixed.
>
> Regarding the drive letters and devload: I do not think this is a bug in
> devload here. On my Live-CDs I use devload in the autoexec.bat file and it
> assigns a new drive letter just fine.

There is definitively a bug in DEVLOAD (3.22 and older) regarding CDS
entry assignment when redirector (for example, *CDEX) CDS entries exist
between or right after block-device-based CDS entries. This is currently
being addressed by the developers.

Your earlier description:

>>> ... Now, when I load DOSUSB and then "devload usbdisk.sys" the
>>> block device driver usbdisk.sys will get the drive letter F:
>>> from FreeDOS. Apparently it does not supply the next drive letter
>>> which would be G:. I can then access the flash disk as F:, but
>>> "FD11Setup" is gone.

This appears to be exactly how the DEVLOAD bug would behave. If you have
any better explanation and resolution for this odd behaviour, feel free to
speak up.

I don't know why your boot CDs apparently aren't affected by the bug:

If however, as you mentioned, your CDs simulate hard disks, and if you
only use the simulated hard disk to access the CD (that is, if you are not
ever installing any *CDEX), then it's simply the case that all of your DOS
drives use block-device-based CDS entries as opposed to redirector CDS
entries. The older DEVLOAD releases work fine on systems without
redirector CDS entries.

If you are loading a *CDEX to access the CD, then it could be the case
that you aren't affected by the DEVLOAD bug because you assign the CD a
drive that isn't right after the last block-device-based drive - if so. If
there's enough gaps for all drives to be installed by DEVLOAD between the
last block-device-based CDS entry and the first redirector CDS entry, then
the DEVLOAD bug does not affect DEVLOAD's operation either.

Regards,
Christian