On Wed, Dec 31, 2014 at 03:50:09PM -0800, Ralf Quint wrote:
> A better spend time (and money?) would be to convince someone at the SeaBIOS
> project to help providing an (U)EFI boot stub, upon which a "classic" 16bit
> FreeDOS then could boot just "like in the old days" on the newest systems...

FYI, there is a mechanism for UEFI systems to support 16bit code -
it's called a Compatibility Support Module (CSM).  SeaBIOS does
support being compiled as a CSM and is known to work under a VM and
I've been told it's been run on real hardware as well.  I don't know
if anyone has done that outside of a "lab environment" though.

Most commercial UEFI installs I thought had a CSM, so I'm surprised
that you're having problems booting DOS on them.  Unrelated to UEFI, I
regularly boot to FreeDOS on my chromebook and coreboot motherboard
with SeaBIOS for testing purposes.  I haven't seen any signs that
modern hardware intrinsically can't handle freedos.

-Kevin