Actually, if it could be rolled in, I believe the vmix32 project would be an
excellent 32-bit dos multitasking solution.  I ran vmix when it was version
2.67, and it not only worked, (in my case) it worked too well.  I had multiple
programs running, and because of the method vmix used to virtualize the output,
and the fact that I use a screen reader because of being visually impaired,
vmix programs were multitasking, and all programs (not just the front most one)
were speaking simultaneously.  That is the only reason I stopped using it.  If
the screen output had been virtualized better (I.E. not being sent through the
dos bios routines when it wasn't the foremost program) I'd probably still be
using it today.  It was an excellent solution, and now that it's opensource
(though nowhere near as functional as that 2.67 release was) it might be a good
starting point for a 32-bit dos that is 100% dos compatible.
I'm not convinced the current opensource version of vmix can do the job, but if
the older 2.67 code could be brought into the open, then there might be
something to base a whole compatible 32-bit system on right there.