On 1/26/2015 1:27 PM, JAYDEN CHARBONNEAU wrote:
> I have noticed that this is an explosive topic.Some people think it
> doesn't matter the source,and others disagree.From what I'm reading (I
> may be wrong),but it seems from what I'm reading in this discussion
> that a program can only be submitted to freeDOS if it is made with a
> specific compiler.
Well, I think that there are two separate issue at hand here.

1) Jim (and a couple others) would like to see that each and every piece
of software associated with FreeDOS is written in an Open Source
programming language. There is not directly any definitive rule about a
specific compiler or language being used, but at there is some general
preference to use C, with the preferred compiler being used being first
Turbo C (back in the good old days 8-) ) and later OpenWatcom, after it
was released by Sybase as Open Source some 13/14 years ago.

2) another issue however is how well a certain language (or a specific
implementation hereof) is suited for a certain task. For example, you
are referring yourself to QBASIC,, which is an intepreter, requiring the
QBASIC executable to be present to execute. That would eliminate it
pretty much for a lot of low-level tasks, and not only for speed and
memory requirement issues. It would be a pretty bad choice for a
replacement or alternative for the existing command.com, just as
command.com's batch processing "language" would be a (really) bad choice
for a "security" program.

Ralf

---