Excerpts from Eric Auer:

> if Mateusz' repository has "500 MB of packages", then that
> would make a good choice for ALL as far as I am concerned:

> It easily fits on a CD and you get plenty of DOS stuff :-)

> Also, it should fit on most USB sticks as well. Maybe you
> could make a list of the LARGEST packages in the repository
> and I can tell you which seem okay to omit, if you want to
> have the distro small enough to fit even on 512 MB sticks.

> That could be a very interesting discussion for my taste :-)

Where do you find USB sticks < 4 GB nowadays?  Smallest I have is 1 GB.

But I think USB sticks started at 128 MB?

I think CDs usually have 700 MB capacity nowadays, so we don't want too much of
that space to go to waste.

It would not be necessary to include everything on the CD in the base
installation.

> I was wondering if we should also provide a 16 bit version. But
> remember: It is almost impossible to boot 16 bit hardware from
> CD or from USB stick, so users with such hardware will probably
> first install a BASE floppy distro and then use FDNPKG to add
> packages manually by individual choice anyway. So it might be
> better to include ONLY the 32 bit version of NASM 2.11.08 :-)

I think most 16-bit computers had no CD(-ROM) drive?   The days when
motherboards supported 16-bit CPUs predate USB, as far as I know.

So only a small minority of users would use 16-bit NASM.

I wonder how a 16-bit computer would exchange data with a modern computer.
Maybe Ethernet with FTP or NFS?

FreeBSD, NetBSD and most (?) Linux distributions include software for
rebuilding the system, so including such software, such as Open Watcom is quite
appropriate.

Networking and USB are much more critical than in the heyday of (MS-, PC-,
DR-)DOS, and FreeDOS 1.2 needs to be reasonably usable for today's computers.

So a FreeDOS base system needs to be suitable to current needs rather than the
1990s.

Tom