I just wrote (DD in Linux) the FDI-USB .IMG file on an USB-KEY.
Think this was my first try to boot FreeDOS on USB key.
Boots fine (once adjusted in BIOS).

Suprise 1) Unable to select a language different than english.
Others are shown, but key down does not move to others.
Did not was able (or really try) to go around that.

Surprise 2) FDISK was at first showing the C: as the USB-Key. (LABEL
FDI-SETUP as I remember).
But there is an option in FDISK to change drive. Worked well.
I stopped there because I did not really want to install on that computer.

Might try later for real on an other.