> On Feb 1, 2016, at 6:17 PM, Rugxulo <rugx...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 9:25 AM, Jerome E. Shidel Jr. <jer...@shidel.net>
> wrote:
>>
>> I just the FreeDOS 1.2 Installer Preview 11.
>>
>> Also, a more permanent USB stick image url location.
>> There is a link to it on the FDI download page.
>
> I just downloaded the FDI-USB.ZIP file (now 178 MB .ZIP'd, unpacks to
> 256 MB .img).

Yeah, It’s a little big. But, on the other hand it is really hard to find
a USB stick under 512mb. So, other than download size, it isn’t to
important. However, that being said. It should be under 100mb
for individuals who have very limited or expensive bandwidth.

>> Extra (not BASE or ALL), uninstalled packages on USB image. (about 50 extra)
>
> 147 MB of "DEVEL"??? Uh ... maybe I could sympathize with OW.ZIP and
> NASM.ZIP (which total "only" 18 MB), but all of the rest is too
> obscure (relatively speaking) for most developers. There aren't enough
> active projects using the others to justify forcing it on all FreeDOS
> downloaders. (I take it back, DJGPP *is* useful, but there are so many
> "competing" versions that it's hard to know what to use sometimes.)
>
> Unfortunately, anything you give here is either too much or too
> minimal. Even limiting only to DJGPP mini-FAQ tools would be quite
> large (well, especially since later GCC versions are even bigger).
> What to do, stick to a classic like 3.46? Or my own home-rolled
> "EZ-GCC v2" (2.95.3)?
>
> Ugh, no easy answer. Without any obvious goal, I would just omit
> everything except OW and NASM. Is anyone here (or elsewhere?) actively
> fighting to keep others included here?? If not, then why include them?
> Maybe I'm overthinking things (again).

I hear you there. If the EXTRA stuff was completely removed, their
would be complaints over not just putting them on the install media.
If I leave them in, complaints about total size of the image.

So, I’ll try to pick something in the middle to make everybody unhappy.

Just kidding :-)

>> Moved CD driver from Installed FDCONFIG.SYS to AUTOEXEC.BAT
>
> But LBACACHE now loads before UDVD2 and FDAPM, so you still can't
> unload it.   :-(

But, it is the installers boot media. Not the installed system. Does it matter?

I will move it just for you. But, I’m curious why you really want to be able
unload it.

So for the next release, I have set DOSLFN to load second to last.
Then finally, LBACACHE.

>> TODO: Sufficient free space is not verified prior to installation.
>
> Would this help?

The issue is not being able to check for available free space. I just don’t
see it as really being worth the overhead and additional complexity.

example:

        FDI starts, tests if there is enough freespace for minimum install.
        YES, continue, No, check if there would be enough if current version is
removed.
        If not, stop telling user not enough space.

        If user wants to make a backup, make sure there will be enough room for
that
        an the minimal install.

        Based on package selection, make sure there will be enough room for that
        the backup.

        With all appropriate screens, message and such in multiple languages.

Or:
        Just test for Max install size + backup size.

Or:
        Just note at download time, full installation + backup will require NNN
mb of free
        space.