On 7/29/2016 7:43 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7/29/2016 5:04 PM, David McMackins wrote:
>>
>>> I have some modifications I'd like to make to PowerPaint as hosted on
>>> the FreeDOS archives, but I'm unable to compile the source. I'm
>>> attempting to use FreePascal to do the job, but it's failing to compile
>>> some of the units due to assembler syntax errors.
>> Well, I can tell you exactly what the problem is: It is a Turbo Pascal
>> program, using the BGI (Borland Graphics Interface) library for the
>> graphics. That simply won't fly to compile in FreePascal, which is from
>> the get-go a 32bit compiler that can't handle the BGI graphics drivers.
> Dunno. Are you trying to use Go32v2 or i8086-msdos target?
Irrelevant. The BGI drivers won't work in either one. And only the 16bit
version could have even a remote chance to ever support that.

>> For all practical purposes, even there is now a 16bit x86 target option
>> for FreePascal, just trying to compile the sources without significant
>> re-working simply won't work...
> The 16-bit "msdos" target is finally officially released/supported as
> of 3.0.0, but it's a cross-compiler only (and you still need NASM,
> WLINK, WLIB). Trunk (which has Win32 snapshots) doesn't need those
> tools anymore and also supports "huge" model. It's meant to be mostly
> (even binary??) compatible with TP, in theory, but so far it lacks in
> a few ways. (The only supported calling convention, last I heard from
> the wiki, is "pascal", not Delphi's "register" nor "cdecl").
NASM would be another show stopper in that case, as it too has a
different syntax than the inline assembler of Turbo Pascal. And yes,
there is no native FreePascal compiler on DOS, you have to use either a
Windows or a Linux based cross-compiler.

The best chances for him would be to get the Turbo Pascal 5.5 compiler
from the oldies section at Embarcadero or try and get a copy of Borland
Pascal on EBay, if those are still around...

Ralf

---