Hi Volkert,

which worries does Japheth have regarding accepting I/O trap patches?
What are the pros and cons of supporting the QEMM API for I/O traps,
compared to the MS EMM386 API? I think SB Live PCI soundcard drivers
only support the MS API? How hard would MS API support for VSB be?

> In point 4 of his opening post, Bob Smith (sudleyplace on GitHub) mentioned
> that with enough interest, he would be willing to "release the source code
> for Qualitas MAX (a.k.a. 386MAX)".

Feel invited to convey our interest via his github :-)

> As for your suspicion that GEMMIS support would limit JEMM in terms of
> optimally supporting modern CPUs, I would like to get some clarity about
> this. Perhaps Japeth and/or others here can confirm whether or not this is
> the case.

I guess Japheth would not want to spend too much time reading specs,
maybe you can extract possible constraints from the GEMMIS specs and
then just ask Japheth whether those would bother JEMM performance?

> By the way, DOSBox apparently has built-in GEMMIS support already

At least DOSEMU does not, it supports DPMI instead, which is okay
for Windows. Makes me wonder whether DPMIONE can help to run Win3
better within FreeDOS, for example with 386enh and multiple DOS
windows at improved stability beyond Jeremy's recent updates?

> But how well do you think 386MAX would compete with it, if it were to
> become open source?

I do not know more about it now than in 2012, seems like a not widely
used EMM386 replacement, but if the quality is similar to 386SWAT and
DPMIONE, I would be quite optimistic :-)

Regards, Eric