On Tue, 12 Jul 2022, Aitor Santamaría wrote:

Once solved the "legal issues", one way to go could be to enrich DISPLAY
instead of making a new driver. DISPLAY is organised as having
"sub-drivers":

DISPLAY CON = (EGA,437,2)

where "EGA" is used to select the sub-driver, 437 is to declare the
codepage that is hardwired in the hardware, and 2 is the number of how many
room for CPIs you want.
Ideally, you could add a "CGA" sub-driver, so that instead of GRAFTABL, one
could issue

DISPLAY CON=(CGA,437,1)

and you save from the TSR stuff, the codepage loading stuff and the
interrupts hooking stuff.

Just an idea that lingered in my mind for a lot of time, although I never
had an enormous interest to care about CGA.

Aitor

I don't think there's any use for DISPLAY.SYS outside of EGA, VGA, and the PC Convertible. There isn't a way to override the text charset, which is what DISPLAY.SYS needs.

(I think the PC Convertible is, in fact, the only reason there's even an option - it supports loadable charsets, but only in 8x8, so installing a full charset, 8x8+8x14+8x16, would be a waste.)

-uso.