> RHV is based on oVirt which is based on KVM plus qemu & libvirt &
> lots of other bits. It'll run DOS but you might have jump through
> hoops (learn virsh and other tools) to get it installed.
>
> BHyve, at least as in TrueNAS Core and OSX/Mac OS before M1 will
> also run DOS.
>
> I think it's at least worth documenting DOS on TrueNAS Core, TrueNAS
> Scale, Proxmox, Unraid, Linux+Cockpit (which should look like KVM)
> and maybe Xen/XCP-NG as well as popular x86 emulators for RPi if
> feasible.

Do you actually have any of these installed and working?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle this moving forward.  At a
minimum, we should move it to its own thread -- and maybe it doesn't even
belong in a FreeDOS thread.  But I'm sure several people in here would be
interested (I'm pretty sure at least Jim would be VERY interested).

Just FYI, it doesn't seem possible to create a generic "I'm running in a VM of
some sort" test.  You need to test for each VM individually, and they all do
different things that may or may not allow you to detect them.  Of course, that
means you need to know about every possible VM out there both now and in the
future (and I've never even heard of some of those you mentioned above before
now).  I've got about six different methods I've found to detect various VMs
(some through research on the Internet and some though experimentation).  In
some VMs several of the methods work and in other VMs none of them work (at
least not reliably).  In can also vary depending on whether you're using and
old or new version of the VM.

There are also cases where there is "cross-linking" between the VMs, especially
in Linux.  E.g., once you install KVM (Kernel Virtual Machine) in Linux it
seems to "infect" the other VMs so it's hard to tell them apart (they seem to
look like KVM).

If you actually have some of these installed and working, I can "tweak up" a
version of ISLOADED so you can do some testing for me (that's what I've been
working on for the last several days in my copious free time).  Are you
interested?