On 10/26/2022 7:43 AM, Danilo Pecher wrote:
Since thengraphics cards of VMs are, as far as I'm aware generally
VESA compatible, unless you specifically decide not to use one in qemu
or bochs, you should have a relatively high hitrate by using the 4Fh
interrupt to query the VESA info. In the case of Virtualbox/VMWare,
you'll definitely find out that way.

I am not exactly sure what trick Jerome was talking about, but I know about some that require a true VGA compatible chip to work, as they work by manipulating some standard VGA registers. I haven't tried this on a lot of different WUs, but IIRC, for me, this was working only on PCem, Virtualbox or any of the other "big guys" wouldn't grok this, neither do some recent laptops or PCs with "modern" graphics cards, because they are not truly VGA compatible anymore in real hardware either...

Ralf