Hello Luchezar,

> I use IOCTL every day and that's how I found that the XMSDSK lock bug that
> prevented SCANDISK from checking the XMSDSK drive had come back as Arkady
> moved the lock check too low. Without anger, I wrote a patch for this, he
> accepted it with some minor changes, and - voila! Problem solved :)
well - good to see that someone fixes some of these optimization
induced bugs.

> I don't even know what MS-LANMAN is, and I guess I don't use it ;-)
accessing files on a networked drive on a MS Server.

> Sure, but this can be said for the "stable" version too. In fact, Arkady
> hasn't touched the file system processing part of the kernel at all. So
> the two kenels don't differ very much internally.
except for 20000 changed lines.

> You already wrote this, but (1) I'd prefer the "innocent presumption", to
> the "guilty presumption" towards him,
it's the guilty assumption about *any* change, that I didn't peer
review myself.

> and (2) I think that accusing him
> when he's absent to defend himself is not ethical.
I certainly didn't wait to say this until he's absent

>> smartdrv is an entirely different beast, that knows a lot about the
>> underlying DOS; expecting compatibility with SMARTDRV is probably beyond
>> the requitrements of this project (wouldn't hurt for sure, but not
>> *required* )

> I agree, but as I use it every day with FreeDOS, I think that besides the
> obscure incompatibility with its delayed write feature on FAT32 that I
> reported (which may well be a bug in SMARTDRV itself that doesn't reveal
> in MS-DOS!) I haven't noticed any other problems with it under FreeDOS.

one reason for different behaviour *might* be that smartdrv traps
int25/int26, which is used differently in FreeDOS (not everything is
rooted through it)

>> *very* easy to fix if you have softice loaded.
>>
>> boot normal.
>> softice>bpint 13 ah=2
>> softice>bpr 0:0 a000:0 t
>> softice>boot  (which reboots the machine, but leaves s-ice
>>               softice>active, and you can step booting !!)

> Yes, the great SoftICE! Sweating on the scene is good, but now I'd prefer
> to be among the public and see if anyone else can sweat instead of me ;-)
> Let's give a chance to the young generation ;-)

I wouldn't hold my breath if I'd like to see this bug fixed.

>> It's been a pleasure for me to work with Bart, you and the nearly
>> forgotten victor who gave us FAT32 in a very ompressive way.

> Victor Vlasenko? Can you write more about this remarkable achievement of
> his? I'm sure that such people may not be, can not be, and are not
> forgotten!

a) he implemented FAT32
b) he implemented FAT32 virtually bugfree on first try
   without 25 'please everybody test this' alpha releases.
   he probably tested it himself before publishing.
c) he implemented FAT32 - and virtually every single line he changed
   was necessary to do the job. no additional noise at all.
   he probably optimized for smallest diff.

>> It's good enough for what I do, and I take care that it remains that way.

> So this is your role since you stopped active kernel development - to act
> as a kind of Kerberos, and thus prevent the only person who still actively
> works on the kernel from having impact on it!
yes.
and while I see no purpose in what he's doing in general, I look at
his changes, and what makes sense (to me), goes into my branch as well.

> Which means that the kernel development has virtually stopped now. How
> sad...
bug fixing will probably never stop, but squeezing single byte out of
it is IMO a complete waste of time.

you may have seen that while I stopped to work regularily on the
kernel, I probably made Stev Gibson happy with FreeDOS (stacks=9,256),
made FreeDOS load DD1000XX.SYS, made freedos kernel load Intel Pro1000
network driver, and found one reason for panic('too many fnodes in use')

4 serious real world bugs; so I wouldn't call my branch dead.

tom