On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Luchezar Georgiev wrote:

> OK, this is a good attestation, but perhaps if there wasn't the current
> absurd that using MS-DOSŪ in any way is illegal (unless you've bought a
> legal second hand copy or bought it long ago - hey, I even have a
> Certificate for Authenticity for MS-DOS 6 - just in case the cops intrude
> here! ;-) everybody would use MS-DOS 7.10 which guarantees 100%
> compatibility (and even BUG compatibility :)

Still won't help though. Anyway, from what I heard you can still get
licenses from MS to allow you to redistribute DOS 7.10 ("but you do not
want to know how expensive that is", see
http://pub50.bravenet.com/faq/show.php?usernum=4220517151&catid=3726#q2
). This is from another guy in the data recovery business,
www.diydatarecovery.nl. By the way, he specifically mentioned that if the
partition table "loops" (recursive problem), MSDOS just hangs but FreeDOS
checks for it and happily uses the partitions that are fine.

Not to mention the fact that the FreeDOS kernel's disk and memory
footprints (40K vs. 50K in HMA) are smaller than those of MSDOS 7.10.

Even if MSDOS would have a "Borland museum" style download it still
wouldn't help me. It's redistribution and no restrictions on
commercial/non-commercial use that count here. Most Linux distributions
would also refuse to ship a binary-only "free DOS" with DOSEMU.

Bart