Hallo Tom,

I certainly didn't wait to say this until he's absent

Sure. The eternal dispute continues forever! ;-)

one reason for different behaviour *might* be that smartdrv traps int25/int26, which is used differently in FreeDOS (not everything is rooted through it)

What isn't routed through it?

I wouldn't hold my breath if I'd like to see this bug fixed.

OK. We'll see. Who knows, perhaps some day I'll try it myself.

a) he implemented FAT32
b) he implemented FAT32 virtually bugfree on first try
   without 25 'please everybody test this' alpha releases.
   he probably tested it himself before publishing.
c) he implemented FAT32 - and virtually every single line he changed
   was necessary to do the job. no additional noise at all.
   he probably optimized for smallest diff.

Great. So Victor's work can be an excellent example of how the job should be done, indeed.

Speaking about Arkady, however, there are some circumstances which can hinder his testing. He has only a 80386 PC with a small hard disk and Windows 3.1. And he has no Internet connection at all!

and while I see no purpose in what he's doing in general, I look at his changes, and what makes sense (to me), goes into my branch as well.

I see. That's good.

bug fixing will probably never stop, but squeezing single byte out of it is IMO a complete waste of time.

When there are important bugs to fix - yes. But Arkady notices bugs exactly while optimising! ;-)

you may have seen that while I stopped to work regularily on the kernel, I probably made Stev Gibson happy with FreeDOS (stacks=9,256), made FreeDOS load DD1000XX.SYS, made freedos kernel load Intel Pro1000 network driver, and found one reason for panic('too many fnodes in use')

4 serious real world bugs; so I wouldn't call my branch dead.

You're right. It's not dead. Good job, Tom! Still, there's no progress in anything but bug fixing - "the call of the day". By the way, will all your changes go into the "stable" branch? It's good that the "unstable" branch benefits from your work too and has all your bug fixes integrated too.

Regards,
Lucho

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by OSTG. Have you noticed the changes on Linux.com, ITManagersJournal and NewsForge in the past few weeks? Now, one more big change to announce. We are now OSTG- Open Source Technology Group. Come see the changes on the new OSTG site. www.ostg.com _______________________________________________ Freedos-kernel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/freedos-kernel