On Thu, 19 Aug 2004, Luchezar Georgiev wrote:

> Hallo Bart,
>
> > Question is how much of a difference can you tolerate? From you I get
> > the impression that a 100K uncompressed kernel that compresses to 39999
> > bytes would be preferable to a 64K one that compresses to 40000 bytes.
>
> ;-) I could never use an uncompressed kernel that is below 64 KB.
> OpenWatcom makes the FAT32/80386 unstable kernel 66330 bytes long. The
> maximum size that UPX accepts is 65350 bytes. The difference is almost a
> kilobyte. How could we reduce the kernel further without crippling it?
> It's difficult!

Well if I claim I can get it under 64K I'm not lying.
OW compiles *plain 2035* as 66318 bytes uncompressed for me for FAT32/386.
Why your kernel is bigger after all these optimizations is a puzzle.
I've read that on low memory machines its optimizer may be limited but I
can't think of anything else.

For the unstable branch it's 64700 or so.
Changing the calling convention to
#pragma aux default parm [ax dx cx] modify [ax dx es fs]
in portab.h (careful, don't do that for SYS & EXEFLAT)
and making LoL (init-mod.h, main.c)

  extern struct lol FAR * const LoL;

(see the const)
chops of another couple 100s of bytes.

> > I've seen compressed differences between Turbo C++ 1.01 and OW going
> > down over the years. As for Borland, is it worth spending $59+postage
> > for an unsupported product on an obscure Ebay site when so many free
> > compilers are available?
>
> It's not worth a penny because it can be freely downloaded from Vietnam (I
> posted the URL here ;-)

The smiley implies that it can't be freely downloaded from Vietnam. Maybe
you can but I can't. Everything can be physically downloaded. But that's a
silly argument and by publically encouraging it you're not doing this
project a favour.

> > How about Digital Mars for instance?
>
> A very good compiler in my opinion, backed by Walter Bright's C++ great
> compiler "know-how", but Tom once wrote that he gave up porting the kernel
> to it as he didn't see advantages.

Sure, Tom's primary interest wasn't compressed kernel sizes at the time,
just the uncompressed time (IIRC this was before compressing was even on
the radar screen).

> Does that < 64K kernel support FAT32?

Of course.

> Besides, aPack doesn't compress .SYS files at all. An incorrect comparison again.

Right, checking again I see it compresses a SYS file like a COM file. Well
with some hand holding (load at 50:100) you could treat kernel.sys like a
COM file too. Haven't tried that though.

Bart