> Downloading commercial software that you own a copy of for personal
> use is not illegal.  Downloading old commercial software that isn't
> sold anymore which the author doesn't care about is not illegal.
> To be illegal, the owner of the intellectual property has to raise
> suit and why would they over someone using the product personally?

No, it is still illegal.  That is like saying "it's only stealing if I
get caught" or "I stole a laptop from my friend but he doesn't use it
so it's ok".
I think it is more of a legal gray area if you are downloading a copy
of something you already own, not necessarily illegal.

> The people breaking the law are those who try to profit off
> the software without paying the owners of it anything.

But you are (in a sense) profiting by using software you otherwise
wouldn't use.  If you want a copy and you want it legal, use ebay.

> I disagree strongly with the notion that using commercial abandonware
> is illegal or criminal in any way.  If commercial software were never
> shared, it would never have the popularity that it enjoys.  I'm not
> against paying for the use of commercial software, but if the author
> of the software doesn't care about it, why should I be prevented from
> using it?  I can't pay for the use of a commercial program that isn't
> sold anymore and I am not interested in being fleeced by a third
> party seller which probably doesn't have a right to sell me the
> program.

ebay.  At least you can feel good inside.

> I have never talked about the source code of commercial software nor
> have I ever suggested that people go to a site that hands out source
> code.  In fact, I don't know of any sites that hand out the source code
> to commercial software.

Source or binary doesn't really matter.

> I have never suggested that anyone else nor do I myself profit from
> my use of software downloaded from http://vetusware.com.  I don't
> make money off of this abandonware.  I don't even provide a source
> for other people to download it from.  I allow people to download
> battletech I and II from me if they want to, but those programs
> are so old that I seriously doubt there's an issue.

it doesn't matter.

> I don't appreciate this late, I have the moral high ground tone
> that you are taking Aitor.  I am not a pirate.  I do not go out
> and get whatever commercial software I can without paying for
> it only to turn around and try to sell it.

It doesn't matter whether or not you are selling it.  If you don't own
something, it isn't legally yours. Simple.

On a side note, I could care less whether or not people use illegal
copies of software on FreeDOS; that's a personal choice.  But don't
try to force your opinion on other people.