> Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:21:27 +0200
> From: bbla...@home.nl
> To: freedos-user@lists.sourceforge.net
> Subject: Re: [Freedos-user] License or Sale? WAS Abandonware site...
>
> Fuzzy Zabriskie schreef:
>>
>> I'm confused. When I buy a 'software license' am I buying the software
>> or the right to use the software? If I have a license to use specific
>> software
>> on a hardware platform (say a Windows OS), and my install media is damaged,
>> do I have use of the license I've bought? Can I legally obtain new media
>> and use my existing license key to install it?
>>
> By MS's definitions you're buying the right to use the software in ways
> they allow, as defined in their license. If you would be able to buy
> their Windows product instead of just a license to use, you could do
> with that whatever you wanted, including mass-copying and making money
> of it bigtime. Something they're not happy with and thus disallow. The
> license to use is because it's software instead of a physical product
> (which you normally buy instead of just a usage license)
>>
>> My reading of the EULA seems to say I'm buying the right to use it,
>> and the media is provided so I can use the right I bought. Any
>> copy of the retail OEM install disk can be used with the key asssociated
>> with correct version license. M$ seems to be saying its not a '1st use'
>> copyrighted work. If so, would that not mean assuming I have a legal key
>> I could download/buy/copy install media to use it?
>>
> Yes you can use whichever installation media you want with your legally
> obtained/purchased valid license, no matter the source. Many computers
> with Vista allow downgrading to XP but don't provide the files somehow.
> Kinda annoying :).
>
> Would be quite nice if you could download a copy of Windows from MS's
> website by entering your license key..instead they just send you a
> snailmail cdrom in a week's time or so. Oh well.

Thank you... thats pretty much what I thought.

personally, I think Vista is a downgrade from XP ;).

I opted for XP on my laptop.  My father's new laptop
came with Vista :(. Boy its, annoying to have to reply 2
or 3 times to every action. I hope UAC is removed from WIN7.
Dumb thing didn't even come with restore disks, never mind real
install disks. I had to talk to customer support to
get them to send him the restore disks. I'd rather they charged
a few dollars more and included the disks.

*sigh*