I'm confused. When I buy a 'software license' am I buying the software
or the right to use the software? If I have a license to use specific software
on a hardware platform (say a Windows OS), and my install media is damaged,
do I have use of the license I've bought? Can I legally obtain new media
and use my existing license key to install it?

My reading of the EULA seems to say I'm buying the right to use it,
and the media is provided so I can use the right I bought. Any
copy of the retail OEM install disk can be used with the key asssociated
with correct version license. M$ seems to be saying its not a '1st use'
copyrighted work. If so, would that not mean assuming I have a legal key
I could download/buy/copy install media to use it?