Speaking of abandonware, all the Nintendo games for the original
8 bit system fit that description now.  Should anyone distribute
an emulator to run the old games on PC's?  Should anyone distribute
instructions on how to get a rom image of an old game so a person
can play it on his/her PC?  Would it be wrong for someone to set
up an ftp site where you can download old 8 bit Nintendo games
and play them on your PC?

How about games made for the Tandy Color Computer 3 by Diecom Products?
That company is now defunct and has been for a very long time.  You
can download disk images of Guantlet II.  Is that really illegal?

MS-DOS and Windows 3.x are clearly abandonware.  If I want to use this
abandonware, am I suddenly breaking the law?  I think there is a huge
difference between using abandonware verses trying to profit from it.

Hopefully if you want to sell software, you are smart enough to clean
room create you own code and secure your rights to it.

Aitor, you think piracy is a black and white issue.  It is not.  Busting
Grandma for downloading a commercial song she bought a CD of at the
local store is a travesty.