Thanks for the feed.  I realized the issue redirection as soon as
Ulrich mentioned it.  Is it possible this is a bug wrt how FD
Command.com handles REM statements?  Obviously my expectation was that
REM was a true comment and not some pseudo NOP command that ignores
its arguments, allowing the redirection to continue to be processed by
the %SHELL%.   I'll fix this up tonight and also test against my MS
DOS VM.  Thanks for the fix suggestion as well Rugxulo.

And to your point about the batch file being dumb.  That was
intentional.  The mTCP config seems to be a lot less cumbersome even
if less configurable (?) than WatTCP config.  My intention was to
simply map what is obvious.  If someone has additional config, I'd
suggest doing something like

   dhcp
   m2wat
   type %WATTCP.CFG%\WATPERM.CFG>>%WATTCP.CFG%\WATTCP.CFG