On Wed, Sep 25, 2019 at 10:09 AM Jim Hall <jh...@freedos.org> wrote:

[..]
> I have two suggestions for you:
>
> (1)
> Your "hda" image file is different in the two commands. You created a hard
> disk image named dos.img but you tried to reference a hard disk image named
> freedos.img. Does the freedos.img image file exist? Try re-running the
> qemu-system-i386 command with the dos.img image file you created in your
> earlier qemu-img command.
>
> (2)
> You have an extra parameter to define a floppy disk image named FLOPPY.img.
> Does this image file exist? How did you create it? Try re-running the
> qemu-system-i386 command without the floppy drive defined. You don't need it
> anyway for the install.
>

> However, neither of my two suggestions would point to the installer being
> unable to find the installation packages. But I'd try these steps anyway to
> see if that fixes it. If it's still broken after that, we can try to debug
> further.

I have two other quick thoughts that I'll add as (3) and (4)

(3)
I remember something that another user had reported problems
installing FreeDOS on the new Raspberry Pi (model 4?) using the same
QEMU command line I wrote about in the article. Sounds like there's a
difference in the new Raspberry Pi that needed a new QEMU option? I
can't remember the details, and a quick search in the freedos-user
email list archives didn't locate the discussion thread I remembered.
But maybe someone else here will remember and be able to point to the
right discussion thread. [However, you said you are doing this on
Raspberry Pi model 3, and that's the same model I have. I have the
Raspberry Pi model 3+.]

(4)
When you are finally able to start the installation, be prepared for
the install process to take a looooooooooooooong time. This is because
installing all the FreeDOS packages requires a lot of disk I/O to the
virtual freedos.img drive. And unless you bought a top-of-the-line SD
card for your Raspberry Pi, the SD card's I/O speed isn't very fast.
The installation takes a very *very* long time. But once you install
FreeDOS, things are mostly fine after that. I think only a few games
were noticeably slow to start after that. Booting and running FreeDOS,
and running most DOS applications, was fine.

Jim