Hi Jim,

> *Powerpaint* (PAINT2)
> License is unclear. The source code has a copyright notice but does not
> have a statement that says "you can use this" or similar. Further, contains
> the SVGA256.BGI driver. But more importantly, It contains many OBJ files
> without source and several Borland Copyright example files. Too unclear,
> not something we should distribute.

I had a look at PAINT2 and it's a real mess! :-(

Unfortunately, there are not many alternatives:

1) I looked through several shareware packages to find something similar
to Windows Paint or Deluxe Paint, but there's nearly nothing.

2) I was unsuccessful to convince makers of NeoPaint (NeoSoft
Corporation) or Desktop Paint (Alchemy Mindworks) to release their
products under a FOSS license.

3) GrafX2 <https://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/graphics.htm#paint> by
Guillaume Dorme & Karl Maritaud is GNU GPL v2, but docs and Watcom C +
TP7 source code names & comments are in French.

4) OGE <https://www.bttr-software.de/freesoft/graphics.htm#paint> by
Daniel Skarda is GNU GPL v2, but docs and TP source code names &
comments are in Czech.

5) VGAPaint 386 <https://www.bttr-software.de/products/vp386/> by Avery
Lee is GNU GPL v2, but unstable.

6) Grafix
<https://www.bttr-software.de/forum/board_entry.php?id=13726#p13726> or
<http://www.softpicks.net/software/Development/C-C-C-/Paint-Brush-Program-in-DOS-256779.htm>
(source code) vanished and also uses Borland's BGI files.

7) AntiPaint for DOS
<https://code.google.com/archive/p/nanox-microwindows-nxlib-fltk-for-dos/downloads>
is unusable (to me).

8) Master Draw <http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=73933> by Arkham
Development is under a BSD license
<https://sourceforge.net/p/arkhamdev/code/HEAD/tree/demoscene/mdraw4_0/>,
but the interface looks a little overloaded, the font is hard to read
and it is written in QuickBASIC (?). Maybe someone can convert it to
FreeBASIC?

Any other ideas?

Cheers,
Robert