After quick reboot my steps to repro the problem are as following:
-> FreeDOS boots up, I enter NDN, browse to OpenWatcom 1.9 BINW folder and
type 'wmake'

[Result]
App shows all the info it should for no targets specified, I assume on exit
it just crashes and hangs the whole system with a message:
DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout
DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout
DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout
DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout
DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout

... multiple lines with the same thing.

Google search not helpful on the line that pops up.

Now I wonder if this is part of
- the OS
- or the app (which is compiled against DOS4GW, 32bit protected mode
extension,
- or perhaps that refind and legacy bios or some hardware conflict is
causing it

or obviously combination of all.. but how to troubleshoot it more to
identify the root cause?

/h1