Hi!

> After quick reboot my steps to repro the problem are as following:
> -> FreeDOS boots up, I enter NDN, browse to OpenWatcom 1.9 BINW folder and
> type 'wmake'
>
> [Result]
> App shows all the info it should for no targets specified, I assume on exit
> it just crashes and hangs the whole system with a message:
> DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout
> DOS/16M error: [26] 8042 timeout

The 8042 is the keyboard controller. You are using the rEFInd boot
manager on iMac, without Bootcamp. I assume that means you had to
load some CSM, either provided by Apple or by rEFInd, to have BIOS
services for FreeDOS? Apparently it does not simulate a keyboard
controller, while DOS/16M, the DOS extender of your app, is trying
to access the keyboard without relying on BIOS services for that?

DOS itself expects mostly BIOS services to exist, it does not use
much hardware directly. Exceptions could include the PC speaker for
FreeCOM command com beeping. DOS apps tend to rely on DOS, but in
particular for graphics, they may expect VGA hardware and not just
VGA BIOS services. For sound, barely any DOS app uses the BIOS and
BIOS sound services such as VBE/AI are not supported by classic DOS
sound cards predating them.

So it is a very interesting question what works and what does not
work with your iMac setup. I would hope that at least some graphics,
disk, keyboard and mouse do work? Please tell me more about your
CSM or similar components and their DOS support.

While it is not exactly DOS/16M, you could try DOS4GW alternative
DOS32A https://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html for improved
compatibility or pre-load DPMIONE or at least CWSDPMI to force
other DOS extenders to rely on the pre-loaded services instead.

Regards, Eric