On 13/12/2020 02:11, Jim Hall wrote:
This makes me wonder if we could adapt this to become a new version of the FreeDOS Help system.

No adaptation required I think. This is specifically one of the use cases I had in mind when developing AMB - as a simpler, lighter and more generic replacement of the FreeDOS htmlhelp.

thinking maybe we could create an alias or "shortcut" COM program that launches AMB to read the FreeDOS Help (with the correct language file).

I guess a simple BAT file would be enough.

IF EXIST %DOSDIR%\doc\fdhelp.%LANG% GOTO LOCALLANG
IF NOT EXIST %DOSDIR%\doc\fdhelp.%LANG%
:LOCALLANG
AMB %DOSDIR%\doc\fdhelp.%LANG%
GOTO GAMEOVER
:FALLBACK
IF NOT EXIST %DOSDIR%\doc\fdhelp.en GOTO OOPS
AMB %DOSDIR%\doc\fdhelp.en
GOTO GAMEOVER
:OOPS
ECHO NO HELP DATA FILE INSTALLED. RUN "FDNPKG INSTALL HELP.%LANG%"
:GAMEOVER

I'd love to have the FreeDOS books in there, too. https://www.freedos.org/books/
I don't think I have the free time to convert them, but if I sent you the ODT
files, could you convert

Sure, if the books are terminal-friendly (ie. no illustrations or illustrations can be removed easily).