Hi!

You can configure Wine to simulate any Windows version
from Windows 2.0 to Windows 10, including the popular
versions Windows 98 and Windows XP, so I would not be
too worried about your apps being too old for Wine.

> http://www.goodbyemicrosoft.net/news.php?item.828.8
> http://www.dosemu.org/docs/README/1.4/
>
> https://packages.debian.org/buster/dosbox
> https://www.dosbox.com/DOSBoxManual.html

I would recommend to also check DOSEMU2:

https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2/

Note the readme at the bottom with links to
daily Ubuntu and Fedora Linux package builds.

Also, with FreeDOS being freely available, it is easy
to run DOS and DOS apps on modern hardware. Windows
is the bigger problem if you neither want to buy nor
steal Windows. Of course most DOS games will have the
problem that your modern PC has no ISA SoundBlaster 16.

It might help to run DOS inside DOS using some Linux
magic or HX RT or similar, for example with DOSBOX-X:

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/Home

https://dosbox-x.com/wiki/DOSBox%E2%80%90X%E2%80%99s-Feature-Highlights

DOSBOX-X allows you to simulate some sound cards.
Of course you can also use it in normal Linux or
Windows, just like the normal DOSBOX versions.

If you have a few GHz of ARM speed, try DOSBIAN:

https://cmaiolino.wordpress.com/dosbian/

Regards, Eric