Bryan Kilgallin composed on 2021-04-19 09:51 (UTC+1000):

>> I define printer quality by whether it includes Epson directly or by
>> emulation. I
>> don't buy Epson, because it only makes inkjet printers. I buy Brother lasers
>> due
>> to speed, to decent Linux support, and to Epson FX-850 emulation available if
>> spending a bit more than bottom of the line.

> You use a Brother laser printer. So why do you need Epson ink-jet
> capability?

Ralf provided a technically correct answer.

I don't know that the DOS software I use ever supported any inkjet printers. I
was
still exclusively using Epson compatible dot matrix when the DOS software I
still
use was discontinued without upgrade path. All my spreadsheet macros assume
Epson.
I bought an inkjet once. The ink disappeared before I could print 40 pages from
the automatic self head cleaning that failed to clean enough to have all 4
colors
working. They are a terrible choice for anyone like me who rarely prints
anything.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
        based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/