Hi,

On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 3:18 PM Ralf Quint <freedos...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/5/2023 12:06 AM, Rugxulo wrote:
> > The Art of Unix Programming attempts to capture the engineering wisdom
> > and philosophy of the Unix community as it's applied today — not
> > merely as it has been written down in the past, but as a living
> > "special transmission, outside the scriptures" passed from guru to
> > guru. Accordingly, the book doesn't focus so much on "what" as on
> > "why", showing the connection between Unix philosophy and practice
> > through case studies in widely available open-source software.
>
> And how does this pertain to FreeDOS? :?

Someone (Mart?) mentioned Sam, another successor to UNIX's Ed (after
Vi). You well know that we have many DJGPP tools ported from UNIX
(e.g. GCC or Make or Diff or Patch). Most of the Sed ports in DOS that
I have used (hhsed, sedmod, csed, minised) were derived from code
written by Eric Raymond. He co-founded the "Open Source Initiative"
(OSI) and has written a lot about "open source", including the above
book.

Do you not understand that I see a lot of similarities between the two
OSes? Certainly they share enough for various ports of useful tools to
be made. It doesn't mean they have much in common, but I still see a
lot to learn from classic UNIX and the philosophy of some of the
authors and tools (as evidenced by my quotes from them). DOS is
"simple" (keep it simple!) but still useful (with the right tools and
the right ideas).

Jim's topic list mentioned Awk, Bash, C, Curl, Emacs, GDB, Grep,
Python, Sed, SSH, Vim, wget. (We have versions of all of those.)

Where would you recommend I start (thinking or writing)? What topic
would be most instructive?