Hi Lawrence,

I’m using the Orca screen reader on Raspberry Pi OS

How satisfied are you with Orca?

DOSBox doesn’t support sending output to the terminal...

I’ve heard DOSEMU has this option, but I don’t have
a Linux computer that can support it.

Actually Raspberry Pi OS is a version of Linux!

And DOSEMU2 support is much better than DOSEMU support.

There is DOSEMU2 for ARM64 Ubuntu, which may work in Raspberry Pi OS.

You may open a ticket asking for Raspberry Pi OS packages, otherwise:

https://github.com/dosemu2/dosemu2/issues

I managed to get the FreeDOS installer to output to the terminal using QEMU

Sounds tedious, but as long as it works?

during the installation of FreeDOS... requires a restart... displays
the normal boot sequence and doesn’t respond to any further commands.

Please describe which special configuration etc. steps you used to get
the QEMU output on the terminal and the screen reader. If you had to
edit config or autoexec of the installer, for example, you may have to
apply the same change to the config or autoexec of what it installed?

You could also exit and restart QEMU instead of letting DOS reboot it,
which also gives you the opportunity to change settings at the restart.

As you suggest, you can also use FreeDOS directly from the Live CD,
without installing, but there will be some limitations then.

what unique text-based DOS games / software do you recommend

Depends a lot on what you like. The monthly release test distro is big:

https://www.ibiblio.org/pub/micro/pc-stuff/freedos/files/distributions/test/report.html

Regards, Eric