On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 09:21, Alan DeKok wrote:
> John Duino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The NAS understands the "Attribute value pairs" information, in this
> > case either Class(25) or FilterId(11) labeling, with the returned value
> > being the group name(s). See discussion below.
>
>   It would have helped if you said this at the start.  Talking about
> "why your solution doesn't do what you expect" is often a waste of
> time.

Well, as I stated, I am a newbie at Radius and FreeRadius, and thus, do
not know all the 'proper' terms. And if I knew how to completely phrase
my question I would probably know how to solve it!

>   Instead, talk about what you want to do.  In this case, it's:
>
>   - send a Class or Filter-Id attribute to the NAS, with the content
> being the names of the Unix groups to which the user belongs.
>

> > The section I posted
> > previously labeled "passwd etc_group", and is directly FROM the default
> > radiusd.conf, is described as doing exactly what I expect/hope.
>
>   No, it's not.  It adds a "Group-Name" attribute, not a Class or
> Filter-Id.
>
>   If you edit it to add "Class", or "Filter-Id", it will be a little
> better.

Well, again, if I knew exactly of which I speak, I would not be asking
for help.

>   The "passwd" module doesn't read directories.  It reads files.  It's
> documented as reading files.  It's not documented as interacting with
> NIS.

I'm a bit confused then: if it doesn't read directories (as in a
directory server, eg NIS) how is it currently authenticating me via NIS?

>   So the "passwed" module won't read "directories", with "NIS
> extensions".  You've got to point it to each and every "group" file
> you want it to read.  To do this, you probably need multiple instances
> of the module, one for each file you want it to read.

Okay, but at this point for me that's like saying, "To get to the moon
you simply have to build a rocket." I am asking for help in configuring
freeradius; what do I need to do? Is module example "passwd etc_group"
the correct place to start? If so, and since I thought I already did
that and it did not work for me, what am I doing wrong?
--
John Duino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
National Engineering Technology