> I'm sorry, but I expect people to be able to read the configuration
> file, and make some simple conclusions from it.  In this case, you
> expected a configuration which had NO MENTION of "Class" or
> "Filter-Id" to somehow magically use them.

Conclusions are one thing. For those of us who don't know the difference
it is a leap of knowledge.

>   You're probalby using system authentication.  In that case, there's
> a system call used by FreeRADIUS to get the user's password.  That
> system call eventually ends up using NIS, but FreeRADIUS doesn't know
> that.

Understood, and that makes sense. I was (logically) jumping past the
functional steps.

>   I told you.  Replace "Group-Name" with "Class" or "Filter-Id".
> Point the "/etc/group" configuration at a group file from the
> /etc/group directory on your system.

Sorry, that wasn't obvious to me from your previous post.

For completeness of this exchange, I added the following to
radiusd.conf:
        passwd etc_group {
                filename = /etc/group
                format = "=Class:::*,User-Name"
                hashsize = 50
                ignorenislike = no
                allowmultiplekeys = yes
                delimiter = ":"
        }

and then added "etc_group" in the "authorize" section.
Oh, and because I'm using Fedora, the rlm_passwd is not included. I
downloaded the source and rebuilt freeradius using the RH Spec file
after adding "rlm_passwd" to "src/modules/stable".

Now it works! Hurray! Thank you!

Now one more question: is there any way to get FreeRadius to look at the
NIS information, directly or indirectly?
--
John Duino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
National Engineering Technology