Alain Perry <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm curious about the possibility to use PGP keys to authenticate users
> via a challenge. I'm using an LDAP database to store my users
> information, and this is working great with a simple login/password
> scheme for the moment. However, I would really like to be able to
> authenticate them using a random string which would be encrypted using
> their public key, and they would just have to decipher it and they send
> back the string.

  What software exists on the client side to do this?  If the answer
is "none", there isn't much point in doing it.

>  I'm barely understanding if EAP could help on that (all
> documentation I find is evasive about EAP when not related to 802.1x)...

  EAP started off as part of PPP.  It's used elsewhere now.

  To do this, you could use EAP-GTC, but few clients implement it
as-is.  It's usually part of EAP-TTLS or PEAP.

> Could any of you tell me if this would be possible with FreeRADIUS as it
> is now ? Would I have to modify its code ? Would EAP really help ?

  If you're doing wireless, use EAP.  If not, don't.

  FreeRADIUS can do challenge-response fairly easily, but you will
have to write code to decide what to use for a challenge, and how to
verify the response.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html