"L.C. (Laurentiu C. Badea)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am having some difficulty understanding why the authorize section
> has that name. It does not authorize anything per se, and in fact
> that word does not appear in the phrase if you try to describe what
> it actually does (which seems to be: define the processing pipeline
> for a given request).

  It authorizes users to use a particular authentication protocol,
among other things.

> This is the way I kind of expected it to be:
>
> "Authentication" answers the question: "are these credentials valid for this
> user ?". If not, then we reject the user and do not go any further.
>
> "Authorization" answers the question: "is this user allowed to access the
> resource at this time ?"

  i.e. authentication protocol.

  Also, if the user isn't allowed to log in at *all* right now, then
there's no need to authenticate them.  They aren't authorized to do
anything.

> and it usually assumes a preauthenticated user.

  Your assumption is wrong.

> According to the above, only the last two items in that section
> actually belong there (daily and checkval). Lumping everything else
> together in that section makes the config file difficult to "parse"
> due to known concepts being given different meanings.

  The server has no problem parsing the configuration file.  The
semantics of that section are well-defined.

List info/subscribe/unsubscribe? See http://www.freeradius.org/list/users.html