Hi Christine,

we have a set of tools we use mainly written by Doug called FS-FAST, but we have also worked hard with FMRIB to make it easy to do surface-based analysis using FSL. I think there are some tutorials on this on our wiki, and perhaps on one of the Oxford sites as well (Steve and Doug: can you chime in?).

Surface-based as a lot of advantages, mainly in terms of the accuracy of cross-subject registration and the power gained in smoothing on the surface as opposed to the volume. The disadvantages mainly come from the possibility of misregistration and thus missing data, as you note. And of course it doesn't represent activation in deep structures (e.g. caudate).

cheers,
Bruce