In general, it is better not so smooth in the volume. However, we often smooth some (< 5mm) as the epi-anatomical registration is sometimes inaccurate due to epi distortion.

doug

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Hi Christine,

I'm not certain you'd want to smooth on the volume at all.

See this paper for illustrations
Desai R, Liebenthal E, Possing ET, Waldron E, Binder JR. (2005) Volumetric vs. surface-based alignment for localization of auditory cortex activation. Neuroimage 26:4 1019–1029.[CrossRef] <http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/external_ref?access_num=10.1016/j.neuroimage.2005.03.024&link_type=DOI> [ISI] <http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/external_ref?access_num=000230071300005&link_type=ISI>[Medline] <http://cercor.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/external_ref?access_num=15893476&link_type=MED>

Also, when smoothing on the surface (and clustering) in FreeSurfer, consider that Freesurfer currently defines vertexes as part of the same cluster only when those vertexes are strictly adjacent (share an edge; there is no adjacency parameter that can be dynamically set), so when smoothing on the surface, you might want to use a decent smoothing kernel (If you use permutations methods to cluster, this would be controlled for as permutations control for smoothing).

U.