Hi there,

I would like to ask some questions about metric distortion.

1. Following the Wisco et al (2007) paper, metric distortion is defined as

Metric Distortion = k * area of a triangle on a registered sphere / area of triangle on gray/white interface surface

which I believe I can compute using

mris_jacobian $subject/surf/lh.sphere $subject/surf/lh.sphere.reg $subject/surf/lh.sphere.reg.jacobian

The subject 's ?h.sphere.reg is formed from the registration of the inflated sphere of the subject with the Desikan et al. (2006) 40 subject template? From the wiki, I think the command is

mris_register -curv ?h.sphere $FREESURFER_HOME/average/?h.average.curvature.filled.buckner40.tif ?h.sphere.reg

so the jacobian measure is derived from the parcellation stage (stage3) of recon-all.

2. I would like to extract the k factor for each subject which is defined as

k = total surface area of original gray/white interface surface / total surface area of individual sphere

do I compute this from the total surface area field of

mris_anatomical_stats $subject $hemi orig / mris_anatomical_stats $subject $hemi sphere

or do I need to use outputs from different surfaces or extract either value differently? The sphere values look rather uniform and I wanted to check if I am using the right thing.

3. Finally, I see in the study average make_average_surface.log file:

setting group surface area to be 1142.0 cm^2 (scale=1.29)

and I was wondering what the scale factor represented here.

Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers,

-Morgan