Dear all,

We are considering to buy a blade system, and FreeSurfer would be one of the applications to run on it. We know that a 3D graphics card, with support for OpenGL and built-in memory+GPU, is recommended. What we are not sure is whether it is mandatory for all the FreeSurfer routines, of if that is necessary only to render data in the screen, in particular, with tksurfer.

If it is used only for display purposes, and not for real processing, then we may consider having graphics card only in a few separate nodes, that the users could access with an X-server (or maybe VNC with OpenGL support).

Does it all makes sense, or do all and every computer must have their own 3D card for everything?

Thanks in advance!

Anderson