Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 12:40:41 -0400
Subject: Re: [Freesurfer] Can fieldsigns be added across sessions?
From: jeffrey.s.phill...@gmail.com
To: dhagle...@hotmail.com
CC: freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu

Hi Don,

Thanks for your comments.  I will try operating on the eccentricity and polar
angle maps first--however, if I calculate a fieldsign from average maps, I
presume that the fieldsign map will not be similarly graded, but rather binary.
 I'll have to think about how to adapt that to our purposes.

I'm confident that the stimulus order was not reversed between sessions.  One
difference which did exist was that the first session involved unidirectional
stimulation (i.e., only clockwise wedges and only expanding rings), while the
second session involved bidirectional stimulation in alternating runs (i.e.,
both clockwise/counterclockwise and expanding/contracting rings).  Would this
difference create any problems?

More generally, I'm still a bit confused about the calculation of the
fieldsign.  The wiki notes that "positive" and "negative" are arbitrarily
defined--in other words, these terms don't bear any relation to
clockwise/counterclockwise stimulation.  It also appears (but please correct me
if I'm wrong) that the meanings of these terms are not linked across the polar
angle and eccentricity manipulations--that is, I haven't read of any rule that
says if you call clockwise wedges positive, then expanding rings must also be
termed positive.  I thought that knowing this directionality would be important
to interpreting the cross-product.

I have been unable to find a document, wiki page, etc. which explains some of
these details--if you happen to know of one, I would appreciate the reference.

Thanks,

Jeff