If you do a text search on our wiki for "paired" it will take you to the
instructions for doing a paired analysis.

doug

Martin Reuter wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> when you use the longitudinal stream in FreeSurfer, it accounts for the
> 'relatedness' therefore the resulting information (e.g. segmentation
> labels, volume measures, thickness measures, surface locations etc. )
> will be more accurate (on average) than if you'd just process the
> different time points independently (cross sectionally).
>
> Comparing the results after FreeSurfer is through will work exactly the
> same in both settings. You can compute what you are interested in (e.g.
> percent volume loss in left hippocampus by looking into the aseg.stats ,
> or percent cortical thinning) per subject and then do a group analysis
> with your two groups.
>
> Best, Martin
>

> On Thu, 2009-10-01 at 14:39 -0400, Gogtay, Nitin (NIH/NIMH) [E] wrote:
>
>> Hi Martin + others,
>>
>> Thank you for your help on this.
>>
>> I am still a bit confused and maybe you can help me understand.  So we have
>> a sample of 12 patients + 12 controls and each with 2 scans (time 1 and time
>> 2) thus total 48 scans.
>>
>> As suggested these have been processed using the longitudinal free surfer
>> algorithm (Thanks for your help regarding troubleshooting during that as
>> well)
>>
>> To compare the results between two time points (I assume slopes of subjects
>> compared to those of controls? And intercepts?), how does one account for
>> the 'relatedness' i.e. Same subject two time points?  As it is now, wouldn't
>> the free surfer treat the data as 'cross sectional' to calculate the slopes?
>>
>> Maybe i/we are missing something?
>>
>> Sorry for the bother and thank you again for the help!
>>
>> Nitin
>>
>> Nitin Gogtay, M.D.
>> Staff Clinician
>> Child Psychiatry Branch, NIMH
>> (301) 435 4494
>>
>> ________________________________
>> From: "Weisinger, Brian (NIH/OD) [E]" <brian.weisin...@nih.gov>
>> Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 14:26:23 -0400
>> To: Nitin Gogtay <gogt...@mail.nih.gov>
>> Subject: FW: [Freesurfer] How to calculate differences using the
>> longitudinal data

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center
gr...@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Phone Number: 617-724-2358
Fax: 617-726-7422

In order to help us help you, please follow the steps in:
surfer.nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/fswiki/BugReporting