The target information is not stored in the registration file, so you
have to specify it on the command-line of mri_vol2vol. I don't know what
your command line was, but you have to specify a mov and a targ and a
reg. Information about the reoriented space is basically stored in a
combination of the reg file and the geometry in the target volume.

doug

Bruce Fischl wrote:
> Hi Timour
>
> I'll leave 1) to Doug. As for 2), the aseg.mgz is an index map into the
> FreeSurferColorLUT.txt (e.g. voxel value 17 means Left Hippocampus), so
> nearest nbr interpolation is the only kind that makes sense. Otherwise you
> will average index value which will give you a useless image.
>
> cheers
> Bruce
>

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2010, Timour Al-Khindi wrote:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> We are looking for a way to reorient the orig.mgz files and the segmentation
>> (aseg.mgz) into a different plane, and we have a couple of questions. We've
>> used tkregister2 to reorient the orig image:
>>
>> tkregister2 ?mov orig.mgz ?tar orig.mgz ?regheader ?reg myregister.dat
>>
>> myregister.dat is created by this command line. We rotate the brain in the
>> tkregister2 gui, then save the registration. Finally, we use the mri_vol2vol
>> command line to rotate the orig and the aseg images.
>>
>> For aseg.mgz:
>> mri_vol2vol --mov aseg.mgz --targ orig.mgz --reg myregister.dat --interp
>> nearest --o rotaseg.mgz
>>
>> For orig.mgz:
>> mri_vol2vol --mov orig.mgz --targ aseg.mgz --reg myregister.dat --o
>> rotorig.mgz
>>
>> This seems to look decent when we load it up in tkmedit, but we have two
>> questions about the use of mri_vol2vol
>>
>> 1) Why does the algorithm need a target (won't run without it), since the
>> transformation info is saved in myregister.dat? Also, how does it manage to
>> work (which it does), given than neither of the targets entered are in the
>> reoriented space? Should we use a different target? What is the role of the
>> target?
>>
>> 2) A previous post specifies that "interp nearest" should be used to rotate
>> the aseg.mgz file. What is the function played by that command? Should we
>> also use it when rotating the orig.mgz file? It works without it, but do we
>> risk distorting the image?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>
>> Tim Al-Khindi

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.