Hi Chris,

Regarding your question on lGI, I am sure that imclose is one of the required
function belonging to the Image Processing Toolbox. I may be wrong but I think
that it is the only one. More specifically I don't remember that I used
fspecial, where did you see it? (Apart from imclose, if you identify other
functions from the Image Processing Toolbox called by lGI , could you please
inform me? Thanks!)

Then for you first question, maybe you can have a look at this post:
http://www.mail-archive.com/freesurfer@nmr.mgh.harvard.edu/msg15683.html and
adapt it for the Folding Index (?).

Hope it helps,

Marie