Hi Michael,

I doubt that the loss of 1 DOF is causing the disappearance. In both models, the test for the difference between groups occurs at a particular age (age=0). This is not a factor in the DOSS model because the lines for the two groups are forced to be parallel (so the difference is the same at all ages). For the DODS, the lines are not constrained to be parallel, so you might have a large or small difference at age=0. If you de-mean the ages (ie, subtract the mean computed over ALL subjects regardless of group), then your test will be at age=MeanAge. This does not get around the problem, but you are at least testing at an age where your data are. In expectation, it should not make a difference, but in practice sometimes it does. If you run the DODS and do not find a difference in the slopes, then you are justified in re-running the fit using DOSS.

doug