Hi Sean,

symmetrized percent change is a measure across time. for two time points it is
just
100*(tp2-tp1)/(0.5*(tp1+tp2)) (if they are a time unit (usually year) apart,
else we divide by time difference)

You are basically fine. We need to distinguish between processing and
post-processing.
For processing it makes sense to have 3 time points in the base. You will get a
subject template that initializes all time points. This enables you to to a
3time point analysis. It also reduces variability etc.
If you run the stream with only two time points in the base for each interval
independently you will basically only increase variability of your measures.

Of course in post-processing you can look at each interval independently. So
looking at the difference in the first interval and in the second separately
and then comparing them is totally fine. Also SPC is fine, but:
as noted above in SPC we divide by the average . That average of course will
change between the intervals and it might be better to divide by the average of
all three time points instead (there is no script for that). I don't think
it'll make a big difference, though. Alternatively you could look at the
difference per time (rate).

On the cortex there is so much other variability (noise, non-linear registraton
etc). You need to check if what you see is noise or significant. Of course it
will go up and down in many regions, but that can all be noise.
You should also take a look at the rate, because there you don't divide by the
average.

And your final question:
when looking at spc of all three time points it is NOT the same as viewing only
tp1 to tp3.
SPC of all three time points is:
100*slope/(temporal average)
we fit a line into each subject data and compute the slope (this is the change
per time: rate) and divide by the temporal average which is the measure at the
mid time. This is assuming there is a linear change

Hope that helps.
Best, Martin