I've posted two scripts -- one for starting an instance and one for running
freesurfer -- using Pedro's AMI. They're in Python, and require two
additional Python packages which are easily installable.  If people find
this a good starting point, please send me suggestions or code (including
suggestions to do the running Freesurfer part completely differently) but
otherwise you're welcome to just copy the scripts and modify them
yourselves if they're useful to you.

https://github.com/thomasballinger/remoteFreesurfer

Thomas Ballinger