Hi Martijn, sorry for  the delay. Your contrast matrices look correct.
The differences between demeaning and not demeaning is somewhat
expected. When you do not demean, you are testing whether there is a
difference between groups at age=0 (ie, birth). When you demean, you are
testing for a difference at age=MeanAge. If the slope of each group with
respect to age is the same, then this will yield the same result since
the regression lines will be parallel and the distance between parallel
lines will always be the same. If the slopes differ, then the distance
will change with age. For example, there will be an age where the lines
cross. If you test at this age, you are assured not to see a difference!
For this reason, it is better to test for a difference in the slopes,
and, if there is no difference, then reanalyze with DOSS which forces
the lines to be parallel. In your case, you found that there is some
difference in insula. If this is not the area that you are interested
in, then I would not worry about it. You should just keep in mind that
you should not try to draw conclusions from this area.
doug

--
Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center