There is not an easy/good way to handle this situation. The way it works
is that it goes through each point in the source and finds the closest
vertex in the target. If the target is more densely sampled, then there
are some points in the target in the middle of the label that are not
the closest vertex to any label vertex in the source. It is hard to
figure out computationally whether an unlabeled point is in the middle
of the label or halfway around the brain. One thing that might work ok
is to save the output as a binary mask (--outmask), then smooth it a
little (mris_fwhm  or mri_surf2surf), then re-binarize the mask
(mri_binarize), then convert it to a label  (mri_cor2label --i
smoothed-and-binarized.mgh --id 1 --surf yoursubject lh white --o
lh.label.yoursubject).

doug

On 07/16/2012 03:30 PM, Michael Waskom wrote:
> Hi, just wanted to bump this up since it looks like Doug is back.
>
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Michael Waskom <mwas...@stanford.edu
> <mailto:mwas...@stanford.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I'm using mri_label2label to reverse normalize labels from fsaverage
>     space to the native surface.
>
>     I'm ending up with some splotchy-looking labels, for lack of a better
>     word.  See what I mean here:
>     http://web.mit.edu/mwaskom/www/splotchy.png
>
>     I'm doing this normalization in a script with the following relevant
>     line, which seems to be what happens inthe BAlabes step of recon-all
>
>     mri_label2label --srclabel ../fsaverage/label/${hemi}.${roi}.label  \
>                     --srcsubject fsaverage --trgsubject ${subj} \
>                     --trglabel label/$hemi.${roi}.label \
>                     --regmethod surface --hemi $hemi
>
>     Any idea how I can avoid this splotchiness or, failing that, do a
>     closing on the label to clean up some of the noise?
>
>     Cheers,
>     Michael

Douglas N. Greve, Ph.D.
MGH-NMR Center